Unable to add forward map from <hostname> to <IP>: not a zone

Chris Miller Chris at InfoGreat.com
Fri Nov 17 15:24:29 UTC 2006

Hi Folks,

Well, I got things working.  Astonishing what a little bit of sleep can
do...

I can't be sure precisely what the problem was, but I found a few.  I found
many examples (http://www.ops.ietf.org/dns/dynupd/secure-ddns-howto.html is
particularly good -- complete and accurate)

1) dhcpd.conf was incomplete:
	a) I had no "zone" directives.

2) dns was misconfigured in several ways:
	a) I needed to "allow updates" for the zone -- I used the key
method.
	b) the authoratative nameserver for the zone was defined circularly
so it couldn't be resolved.  (  Oops!  :-)  )
	c) same (a & b) goes for the reverse mapping zone

The missing zone directives were the source of the complaints in the log
(see subject) and the dns problems were the cause of the failure to
dynamically update dns.

I think all is working now, and I thank you for your assistance.  I hope
you're not hugely disappointed that I didn't send large chunks of config and
log text to clog your in-box.

Chris.

Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches.
Life is a journey, not a destination ...