dhcp-users Digest V1 #235

Bruce Hudson Bruce.Hudson at Dal.Ca
Wed Nov 29 14:20:27 UTC 2006

> If that is the case, then what does the 'allow/deny/ignore' decline
> keyword option in dhcp.conf actually do?

    When an address is part of a pool, receipt of a decline response will
normally prevent the server from re-offering the address except as a last
resort. It "abandons" the addresses. Setting "ignore declines" prevents
this and stops a rogue client from cycling through the entire pool with a
series of bad declines. This is not relevant to fixed address setup where
there is only a single address and no lease structure to abandon.

> However since the address is fixed and there was nothing that could
> be done in the dhcp server to resolve the problem I was hoping there
> was a way to tell the DHCP server to ignore that client, or send a
> message to the client to 'go away' for a while.

    Ignoring the client you can do. Setting "deny booting" or "ignore
booting" in the host entry for a particular client, will tell the server
ot to respond to queries from that client. Using "deny" will cause the
query/refusal to be logged but "ignore" will prevent the log entry.
--
Bruce A. Hudson				| Bruce.Hudson at Dal.CA
UCIS, Networks and Systems		|