Upgrade from 3.0.2 to 3.0.4 and some strange changes

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Thu Oct 12 19:07:26 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 10:15:10AM +0100, Hall J D (ISeLS) wrote:
> All though we are running failover almost all of the clients get their
> addresses statically via host statements. Previously if a client tried
> to request an address, and we hadn't defined a host statement for it,
> we'd get a "network vlan138: no free leases" message logged on both
> servers. Since the upgrade we now get a "peer holds all free leases"
> message on both servers instead!

Yeah...that's a side effect of fixing a bug where the server's choices
in terms of failover load balancing were incorrect in regard to wether
it knew the peer to have leases it could allocate or not.

Basically it was getting "peer_has_leases" set false, and hence not
load balancing, when it should have been true.

It's the same thing, just a different log message, so it should be
just cosmetic.

> Something else I noticed is some strange dates in the failover peer
> state in my leases file. On my primary server the state is:-
>
> failover peer "glam" state {
>   my state normal at 4 2006/10/12 08:46:01;
>   partner state normal at 4 2001/10/18 08:24:58;
> }
>
> Any idea why is the partner state date on the primary server 2001?

I remember seeing that, but I can't remember what happened afterwards.

EG if I found and fixed the bug (I don't see a related relnote in
3.0.5...) or if it fell through the cracks.

I think this should be cosmetic since I don't think the server makes
any decisions based upon the peer's stos.

--
ISC Training!  October 16-20, 2006, in the San Francisco Bay Area,
covering topics from DNS to DDNS & DHCP.  Email training at isc.org.