Dhcpd as non root user

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Sat Oct 14 01:09:01 UTC 2006

>Subject: Dhcpd as non root user
>Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 15:56:57 -0700
>From: "John Tabasz \(jtabasz\)" <jtabasz at cisco.com>
>To: <dhcp-users at isc.org>
>
>Hi,
>
>I have seen that there is an option to do this with isc-dhcp on
>open-BSD, dhcpd -u {user}. I have yet to find information on how to do
>this using isc dhcp 3.0.2. Is there a way to do this?

This is an enhancement provided by the openbsd people. It's not part of
the standard ISC releases. If you're using something other than openbsd
you could try building their version of the source on your platform,
but you'd be pretty much on your own if it didn't work.

>2nd question: Is it really impossible to force clients to release their
>leases and request new ones? From what I have read, you have to reduce
>the lease time and let the leases timeout.

Correct. RFC2131 covers all of this - it's included in the doc
subdirectory of the source distribution (versions prior to 3.1.0).

regards,
-glenn
--
Glenn Satchell     mailto:glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au | Some days we are