Upgrade from 3.0.2 to 3.0.4 and some strange changes

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Tue Oct 17 15:09:20 UTC 2006

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 09:11:06AM +0100, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Whilst I'm not that familiar with failover, I believe there are also
> situations where one server may not be able to allocate an address
> because any addresses which are currently free are not available for
> THIS server to give out because it is 'owned' by the peer. So once
> again, whilst there are free addresses in the subnet/pool, THIS
> server isn't able to hand any of them out and so there are again "no
> free leases".

In this case, the server tries (harder now, looking at changes between
3.0.2 and 3.0.4) to determine if the peer has free leases, so as to
log 'peer holds all free leases' instead.

Of course this also tells us nothing about the peer's lease allocation
limitations (which should be identical), so it's the same kind of
opacity.

The architectural problem is that the reason(s) a lease could not
be allocated for the client is lost by the time the log message is
emitted.