DDNS with host declarations

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at linux01.gwdg.de
Sun Oct 29 11:43:46 UTC 2006

>See the section in dhcpd.conf on classes. You can define a single class for each
>host based on the mac address. Then create a pool with a single IP address in
>the range. Something like this:
>
>class "xp" {
>  match if hardware = putsomethinghere;
>}
>
>subnet 192.168.234.0 255.255.255.0 {
>  pool {
>    allow members of "xp";
>    range 192.168.234.2;
>  }
>}

Hm there is a slight problem:

class "xp" { match if binary-to-ascii(16, 8, ":", hardware) =
"00:0C:29:93:C6:21"; }
subnet ... {
  range 192.168.234.10 192.168.234.40;
  pool { allow members of "xp"; range 192.168.222.41; }
}

The client always gets the IP address it used before (234.20) rather
than picking up .41. Is this because of the unconditional range
statement?
I also tried with `match if 1=1` but it won't get .41.

>Which can be quite clumsy if you need to have more than a few hosts
>defined this way.

Well it looks a little nicer than having to put the IP in _two_
different places (dhcpd.conf and named db).

	-`J'