mac address problem

garry saddington garry at schoolteachers.co.uk
Sat Sep 16 09:20:40 UTC 2006

We bought a bunch of Wyse Winterms cheaply to use in an LTSP setup.
About one third of them work perfectly by flashing them with a kernel
and an initial ram disk.
However, the others do not work and the problem is that they all report
their mac address as 00:00:00:00:00:00. Consequently they all get the
same ip address from dhcp and everything gets a little confusing!
Is there any way to solve this? We thought about a kernel parameter
specifying mac address on boot but all our searches have not found
anything. Can someone here suggest an avenue to follow?
regards
Garry