sun client

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Wed Apr 11 13:40:51 UTC 2007

>Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 09:14:30 +0200
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>From: Mickael Choisnard <mickael.choisnard at u-bourgogne.fr>
>Subject: sun client
>
>Hi,
>I have some sun clients and i use dhcp3-server on a linux debian.
>I have a warning with solaris 10 with loghost. I
>saw that /etc/hosts must have contain the loghost option.
>How to obtain this option with dhcp3-server.
>I saw the option LogHost = 24 code ip-address but
>dhcp3-server make me a warning
>I define clients with :
>host sun {
>  hardware ethernet 00:12:15:14:15:16;
>fixed-address 172.33.23.12;
>option host-name "sun";
>}

The Sun dhcp client (/sbin/dhcpagent) doesn't understand many dhcp
options, so you are limited to either hardcoding it in the /etc/hosts
file (perhaps as an alias to localhost) or defining it in DNS so that
it resolves to a single host.

The loghost hostname is only used by syslog in /etc/syslog.conf, so you
could change that file and remove the references to loghost.

Having said that you could try adding:

     option log-servers ip-address [, ip-address... ];

       The log-server option specifies a list of MIT-LCS UDP  log
       servers available to the client.  Servers should be listed
       in order of preference.

This is from the dhcp-options man page. However the client may or may
not take any notice of that option.

regards,
-glenn