search list (option 119)

Craig craig5 at pobox.com
Wed Apr 25 01:31:02 UTC 2007

This may be a FAQ... my apologies if it is...

We have Linux, Mac and Windows clients. We are running ISC dhcpd 3.0.5.

We have multiple domains. We would like the search path to be sent via
dhcp to the clients.

Right now, the following will work with Linux:
   option domain-name "dom1.company.com dom2.company.com";

This will set things properly:
$ grep search /etc/resolv.conf
search dom1.company.com dom2.company.com

But, windows does not like it. (I can send some data on this if needed.)

It looks like rfc 3397 is supposed to address this, but it also looks
like this is only supported in 3.1.x.

If there a way to get search paths working on linux and windows (and
mac?) using dhcpd 3.0.5? (Or any non-alpha version.)

TIA!
Craig