MAC to IP assignment not working - dhcprelay

Edwin Whitelaw Edwin.Whitelaw at nrvunwired.net
Wed Apr 25 12:06:14 UTC 2007

Glenn,

The shared-subnet comment was the key.  I'm a wireless ISP and each
remote access point (Voyage Linux on a single board computer) has two
nets per system, one NATed, for customers' routers and the other a
non-NATed, IP for internal network devices.  This being my first attempt
to use the relay approach, I'd failed to realize I still needed the
shared-network statement back on the central DHCP server.

The small range declared allows both client routers and network bridges
to acquire a NATed IP automagically with a short lease pending their
addition to the include file for a fixed MAC-IP relationship.  It's
worked well in practice but needed to be consolidated via relay.

Assuming my other configuration is correct, I've not had a problem with
clients getting range addresses if they have an entry in the included
host assignment file.  I assume the deny known-clients declaration
simply reinforces the default behavior of use the fixed assignment
before referring to the range?  I'd rather have the client get some
address, even from the range, rather than none at all.  Periodic review
of the leases file lets me see where I've overlooked a fixed assignment
since my client radios have known MAC ranges.

Thanks for the insightful comments.

Regards,

Edwin

--