If the lease files are lost what would be the solution?

John Wobus jw354 at cornell.edu
Wed Apr 25 16:07:03 UTC 2007

Glenn and Frank have some suggestions on the immediate problem you pose.

Stepping back, your DHCP service "design" and configuration can
influence
your recovery in this situation.

For example, we run a redundant server pair, and an empty lease file is
repopulated from the peer server.  Also, we keep static host
information out of the
leases file: we keep it in the config which is constructed on and
copied from another server.  Thirdly, our lease time is an hour, which
has
costs for being so short, but one benefit is that should we lose both
servers'
lease files at once, the "pain" of recovery would be over in an hour.

John Wobus