update static leases

R.Smits R.Smits at tudelft.nl
Fri Aug 24 14:40:05 UTC 2007

Richard Smits wrote:
>>> Ok, so to be clear,
>>>
>>> With update static leases setting, I am still able to change records,
>>> but the server will not delete them ?
>> The server will record the static lease in DNS, the server will update, but it
>> will not delete it.
>> If you ever reuse the name with another client it will simply fail to update
>> the record (because the TXT does not match anymore).
>>
>> Christof Chen
>
> Ahh, now it is getting clear... Now I also understand the error messages
> about "no such RRset"
>
> Aug 22 17:05:17 srv1 dhcpd: [ID 702911 local6.error] Can't update
> forward map pc5311.company.net. to 129.180.4.50: no such RRset
>
> I think the TXT does not match anymore. I will investigate this further.
>  My problem started with a client, which IP number has been changed. It
> has now 2 PTR records off wich one is false.
>
> Thanks...

I did some extensive testing, and I found the folowing.

As long the TXT record is right, it works. But now I wonder, how is the
TXT record generated. For one pc, with some different records, the TXT
record is always the same....

Is it a calculation with the NIC MAC address ? Or the UID in the system
bios ?

Greetings... Richard