DHCPDISOVER - unknown network segment

Ryan McCain Ryan.McCain at dss.state.la.us
Wed Aug 29 18:37:19 UTC 2007

We are in the process of migrating our DHCP services from Windows to Linux.  I am running dhcpd on a SLES 10 box.  Below are all the versions of dhcp packages on the server:

dhcp-client-3.0.3-23.5
dhcp-server-3.0.3-23.5
yast2-dhcp-server-2.13.4-1.3
dhcp-3.0.3-23.5
dhcp-relay-3.0.3-23.5
dhcp-tools-1.6-43.2
dhcpcd-1.3.22pl4-223.2
dhcp-devel-3.0.3-23.5
dhcp6-0.10-40.2

The IP address of the DHCP server is: 10.120.11.82. AFAIK, there is a DHCP helper on the switch.  I created a test subnet of 172.20.4.0 and am trying to issue DHCP addresses out to that subnet from the DHCP server.

When my client contacts the DHCP server I get this error:
Aug 29 13:26:56 dss-cs99la14 dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:16:d4:14:3a:be via 172.20.4.252: unknown network segment

That is the correct MAC address of the client attempting to get an IP address.

I configured dhcrelay to use eth0.

Any ideas?

Thx..

Ryan McCain