PXE only Config [OT]

Daniel Wells daniel_wells at byu.edu
Mon Dec 3 17:22:48 UTC 2007

Thanks.  I'll start looking into that.

    - Daniel Wells

-----Original Message-----
From: dhcp-users-bounce at isc.org [mailto:dhcp-users-bounce at isc.org] On Behalf Of Glenn Satchell
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2007 10:09 AM
To: dhcp-users at isc.org
Subject: RE: PXE only Config [OT]

Perhaps the option dhcp-parameter-request-list can be used to supply
only the options you are interested in? It is briefly mentioned in the
dhcp-options man page. eg

  option dhcp-parameter-request-list 15:17;

The numbers come from the table in server/stable.c in the source
distribution. I am not sure if other information is always sent, but
this might be a starting point for you.

regards,
-glenn

>From: Daniel Wells <daniel_wells at byu.edu>
>To: "dhcp-users at isc.org" <dhcp-users at isc.org>
>Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 09:47:17 -0700
>Subject: RE: PXE only Config [OT]
>
>I noticed I failed to respond to one piece of you email, "I did not realize
that the client asked for PXE information seperately."

>The PXE client does not make a separate requests to the PXE servers.  It makes
one request (a DCHP Discover), which can be received by multiple servers.  It
basically then listens for any responses.  It will continue to accept responses
from multiple servers until it receives responses to all of it requests
(options). So if your DHCP servers are configure to responds to only the IP
lease requests, the PXE client will continue to wait to see if anyone else will
send it its boot file information.  If it never receives its boot file info,
then it times out and fails.  If another server responds within a timely fashion
with the remainder of the options that it has requested, then it consumes those
options and the boot continues successfully.

>Does this answer your question?
>
>    - Daniel W.

Dan Farrell