failover vs. load-balancing?

O S atxnomad at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 02:52:43 UTC 2007

We're planning on moving to a new version of the ISC dhcp server (3.1.0) and
have considered implementing either failover or load-balancing.  I've done
some reading and while I have an idea of the differences between the two, I
have no experience running them in production.  Right now we have one dhcp
server with a second holding copies of all configs and leases.  Why might I
choose failover over load-balancing or balancing vs. failover?  Seems that
with a beefy enough box, I could run a simpler setup with just using
failover.
Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Recommendations?