How does DHCPD determine what IP address to assign and...

Ryan McCain Ryan.McCain at dss.state.la.us
Thu Dec 27 20:02:31 UTC 2007

"David W. Hankins" <David_Hankins at isc.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 26, 2007 at 01:15:44PM -0600, Ryan McCain wrote:
>> The UID always looks something like this in the lease file::
>>
>> uid "\000cisco-10.116.6.251-Async32"
>
> it's kind of unfortunate that in dhcpd.leases it was called 'uid', but
> what it means is 'dhcp-client-identifier'.
>
> i gather from comments there was some hope that people would soon be
> calling these "globally unique identifiers," but it's clear this has
> not panned out.

Here is a snip from my leases file:

lease 10.116.6.142 {
  starts 0 2007/11/11 01:44:43;
  ends 0 2007/11/11 01:45:02;
  tstp 0 2007/11/11 01:45:02;
  binding state free;
  hardware ethernet 00:10:7b:4d:73:c6;
  uid "\000cisco-10.116.6.251-Async17";
}
lease 10.116.6.179 {
  starts 1 2007/11/12 03:23:15;
  ends 2 2007/11/13 03:23:15;
  tstp 2 2007/11/13 03:23:15;
  binding state free;
  hardware ethernet 00:10:7b:4d:73:c6;
  uid "\000cisco-10.116.6.251-Async25";

So, its  not always Async32, but it will always contain "-Async".

If I understand you correctly the syntax would be:

match if substring(option dhcp-client-identifier, 3,5) = "Async";

Correct?

I know the 3,5 are wrong based on the other post but as far as using the right option, dhcp-client-identifier is the correct one to use in this scenario?