[unisog] Mac OS X 10.4.x "DHCP client sometimes remains BOUND aftersending DHCPDISCOVER" bug

Ted Lemon Ted.Lemon at nominum.com
Thu Feb 1 22:52:35 UTC 2007

I have to agree here: the behavior ascribed to the OSX 10.4 client is
neither in conformance with RFC2131 nor recommended by RFC4436.
RFC4436 pretty clearly talks about INIT-REBOOT, not INIT for sending
DHCP messages when reconfirming an address for which a valid lease is
held.   If you read the glossary definition for Operable Address in
the draft, you can see that it is specifically talking about this.
I don't really see any room for interpretation here.

So I would say that the DHCP server that you are using is not
behaving out of spec, at least by my reading of it, although
certainly its behavior is more restrictive than usual.