How to serve DHCP'ed nameservers?

Jorge Canas jcanas2000 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 7 16:24:05 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have setup a home gateway (2 ethernet cards, one on the WAN and the other
on my private network (vpn)).

The WAN interface gets configured via DHCP from my ISP.  The ISP also
provides the addresses of its primary and backup nameservers.

The VPN interface has a private static IP address, and this interface is a
DHCP server for other nodes in my VPN: I will call this my local DHCP
server.

Anyway, so far, this a very vanilla setup.

Now, what I am having trouble figuring out how to do is how do I make my
local DHCP server assign the ISP nameservers to the vpn clients?  I know I
can edit dhcpd.conf and hard code the IP addresses of the nameservers there,
but I am trying to avoid doing that.  I would like this to be automatic...
Anyone know how to do that?

-Jorge