using dhcp in multiple subnets

Karl Mueller ewiley at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 15:33:38 UTC 2007

I would recommend looking in the documentation under dhcp relay agent.
Many routers have one built-in, such as Cisco (look-up "ip
helper-address", though you may have to tune this command as it
forwards more broadcasts than just BOOTP).

If you don't control your routers, you can deploy a DHCP host in each
subnet as a relay agent (man dhcrelay)

The relay agent acts as a proxy for the local network and forwards the
DHCP request encapsulated in a unicast packet to the server.

I believe from the server's standpoint you would configure them the
same as any other IP block.

HTH,

Karl

--