dhclient ignores received default router IP

dmoore dmoorelists at dslextreme.com
Fri Feb 9 20:32:53 UTC 2007

 >>dhclient is written to do so via /sbin/dhclient-script, which contains a
 >> function named add_default_gateway(). However the script never calls
 >
 >The stock dhclient-scripts don't have a function by that name, so
 >I don't know what you're talking about.

Sorry, I'm using the dhclient that's delivered as part of Fedora Core 6.
It gives the isc.org URL in the rpm package's built-in info blurb
(below). That package deploys a file /sbin/dhclient-script which
contains function add_default_gateway() starting at line 209.

So I deduce you/isc must be the originators of "stock" dhclient,
Fedora/RedHat adapts it, and this must be one of their modifications.

With Fedora's dhclient, the failure to add the default route is a
definite occurrence. I saw it again yesterday after I installed Fedora 6
elsewhere. While environments where it doesn't happen are unaffected, on
affected computers it always happens and they can't get their route set
up. I'll need to find time to try to debug the script code in hopes of
pinpointing the exact causal condition.

"Name        : dhclient                     Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 3.0.3                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 26                            Build Date: Thu 02 Mar 2006
02:58:32 PM PST
Install Date: Sun 03 Dec 2006 11:07:57 PM PST      Build Host:
hs20-bc1-1.build.redhat.com
Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM:
dhcp-3.0.3-26.src.rpm
Size        : 1608041                          License: distributable
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Mon 06 Mar 2006 12:00:35 PM PST, Key ID
b44269d04f2a6fd2
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
URL         : http://isc.org/products/DHCP/
Summary     : Provides the dhclient ISC DHCP client daemon and
dhclient-script .
Description :
DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) is a protocol which allows
individual devices on an IP network to get their own network
configuration information (IP address, subnetmask, broadcast address,
etc.) from a DHCP server. The overall purpose of DHCP is to make it
easier to administer a large network.

"To use DHCP on your network, install a DHCP service (or relay agent),
and on clients run a DHCP client daemon.  The dhclient package
provides the ISC DHCP client daemon."