DHCP Failover and clients attempting to renew every 6 seconds.

Cory Meyer cory.meyer at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 07:06:07 UTC 2007

Thanks everyone.  I'm assuming that the clients and the 6 - 20 second
renewals has been going on a long time in our network.  I've just never paid
attention until users are reporting DHCP issues with no data.     As posted
earlier I didn't have a minimum-lease-time set in my configuration.  I have
since added this and still running into the same clients attempting to renew
every 20 seconds.
One odd thing though was that the maximum lease time always matches my MCLT
setting.   I've verified by changing the MCLT from 3600 to 5400 and
comparing the actual packet and dhcpd.leases.  Even though the
minimum-lease-time is set to 7200 and maximum lease time is set to 14400 the
clients are still issued a 5400 sec lease time.

I've tried digging through the documentation for the MCLT setting and no
where can I find that this effects the lease time.

Thanks,

Cory