PPP DHCP client

Gonzalez, Pedro - ACD Pedro.Gonzalez at itt.com
Tue Feb 27 23:52:39 UTC 2007

Hi,
I need to run DHCP over a PPP interface.
The PPP interface between my 2 devices is up and running, and my
application calls for the client (Linux) to be assigned an IP address
via DHCP.

I tried to evoke the dhcp client over the ppp interface as shown below,
I see that the system is sending DHCP discover messages, however they
are not making to the wire since I don't see them on the Sniffer.

The following is the output of launching the "dhclient" command in
Linux...

[root at icb ppp]# dhclient ppp0

Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.2-RedHat
Copyright 2004 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP

ppp0: unknown hardware address type 512
ppp0: unknown hardware address type 512
Listening on LPF/ppp0/
Sending on   LPF/ppp0/
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on ppp0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
DHCPDISCOVER on ppp0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
DHCPDISCOVER on ppp0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 15
DHCPDISCOVER on ppp0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 9
DHCPDISCOVER on ppp0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 14
DHCPDISCOVER on ppp0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
DHCPDISCOVER on ppp0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4
No DHCPOFFERS received.
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.

As per output above, it looks like PPP0 is not being recognized, and the
program "dhclient" is listening and sending the messages on /LPF/ppp0
instead of PPP0.  Can I fix this problem by modifying any of
configuration files on my system, and if yes, which files do I need to
modify?

The following is my system's software build...

[root at icb ppp]# uname -a
Linux icb 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 #1 Thu Jun 2 22:55:56 EDT 2005 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux

Thanks,

-Pedro-

Pedro Gonzalez
System Test Engineer
ITT ACD
77 River Road
Clifton, NJ 07014

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are proprietary and intended solely
for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have
received this e-mail in error please notify the sender. Please note that any views
or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of ITT, Inc. The recipient should check
this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. ITT accepts
no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.