a small comment on isc dhcp

mark mark at immermail.com
Wed Feb 28 17:28:36 UTC 2007

Simon Hobson wrote:
> Luc T. wrote:
>
>> I do think it is more important to start the service even with minor
>> mistakes than just stucking there (For example, if duplicate host
>> names are found, rather than stucking there, one of them can be
>> chosen and others ignored).

And which should be chosen?  The first, last?  There would have
to be many such arbitrary decisions, which would lead to running
instances of dhcpd where the sysadmin would not even know what
the running configuration really is!

And imagine the troubleshooting fun...

Also, is this desire for configuration error tolerance confined to
dhcpd, or do you want all software to do this?  sshd?  apache?
bind?  A unix 'mount' that tolerates duplicate mount points
in fstab and just picks one?

Mark