filename="yaboot" not used

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Mon Jan 1 10:39:14 UTC 2007

>Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 14:09:46 -0600
>From: Carl Karsten <carl at personnelware.com>
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>Subject: filename="yaboot" not used
>
>I am trying to setup netbooting on a PPC mac.  I have done it for x86 boxes, so
>I know the rest of it, but I am missing something in my dhcpd.conf:
>
>filename="pxelinux.0" ;
>
>host adocentyn{
>         hardware ethernet 00:03:93:66:D6:6A ;
>         option host-name "adocentyn" ;
>         fixed-address 192.168.1.3 ;
>         filename="yaboot" ;
>         nextserver="192.168.1.36" ;
>
>It gets the IP, but Ethereal shows pxelinux.0, not yaboot.
>
>Carl K

Hi Carl,

Three things I can see here.

>         filename="yaboot" ;

 	filename "yaboot";

>         nextserver="192.168.1.36" ;

	next-server 192.168.1.36;

In both cases the '=' leads to a variable assignment, rather than
setting the specific option. Notice, for example, that you don't say

	fixed-address=192.168.1.3;	# no no no

In next-server the '-' is significant. If you remove the '=' and
restart dhcpd I am sure you will get a syntax error for 'nextserver'.

And finally the value for next-server is an ip-address or hostname, not
a quoted string.

regards,
-glenn