Support for both dhcp and bootp

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Jan 11 22:30:55 UTC 2007

Kingsmill, Geoff wrote:

>I have a device (a Terminal Server) that requires BOOTP to load its boot
>image and then DHCP to set other parameters such as its name, the domain
>name, etc. The customer does not allow dhcp scopes so the IP address of
>each device has to be tied to its hardware mac address.
>
>Can the ISC DHCP server be configured to support both DHCP and BOOTP
>request for the same MAC address?

Yes it supports BOOTP, but ...

You may well have problems if you want the same address to be given
out both times. This is a general problem that affects all dual or
multistage boot environments - but if do not supply a client-id in
the dhcp request then it should be OK.

There is a specific incantation you need to use to allow bootp, check
the man pages.