host name

Hai Tao taoh666 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 12 19:31:37 UTC 2007

the mac addresses in different virtual machines on the same computer are different.

Carl Karsten <carl at personnelware.com> wrote:
  Hai Tao wrote:
> how can mac address be "not unique"? mac address is global identical, right?

a few ways:

Some drivers allow you to override it. (you shouldn't, but perhaps you are
testing something. I am not saying it is a good idea, just answering your
question of "how?")

Virtual Machines - which have virtual NICs which were not manufactured in a
factory that could assign them a Unique ID. I am not sure how they get their
MACs, but I am guessing if you create one VM, then copy the files, then run
both, you will get duplicate MACs. (just guessing, and they may have provided
for this)

Not that this helps you with your problem, but may be good to know some other time.

btw - "global identical" should be "globally unique"

Carl K

Sincerely,

Hai Tao

taoh666 at yahoo.com