MAC/machine-name mismatch

Ray Phillips r.phillips at jkmrc.com
Wed Jul 11 00:02:41 UTC 2007

>  > TruemanLT-PC's owner isn't capable of spoofing a MAC address.
>
>The hostname is cached upon the lease structure.  So this is stale
>information from the previous owner of the lease.

Thanks David.

My arpwatch file confirms TruemanLT-PC was the last machine to use
192.168.37.132 (on 30 March 2007) before it was assigned to the PC
with MAC 00:19:d1:82:7a:17.

>  > TruemanLT-PC's MAC is 00:00:39:2f:b9:3f, not 00:19:d1:82:7a:17.
>   [ ... ]
>>  TruemanLT-PC's owner isn't capable of spoofing a MAC address.
>
>	Have you considered that the machine with MAC address ...:7a:17
>	may actually (but illegitimately) be asserting (spoofing) the
>	machine name "TruemanLT-PC"?

Thanks for responding Niall.

No.  I should have mentioned I was using that PC at the time and had
just booted it from a NetBSD installation CD and run dhclient.

Ray