Can fixed addresses ever be taken by dynamic ranges

R Landster dchp_mailing at library.uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 6 18:31:16 UTC 2007

Thanks for the information; it is good to know how things work.

On the other hand, I think there is merit to the system being able to
avoid handing out IP addresses for those addresses assigned to
fixed-address machines.

For example: you are in charge of a subnet and you would like all IP
addresses that are not assigned to fixed-address IP addresses to be
available to be handed out dynamically. If your fixed addresses are all
in one continuous segment it is not hard to use pools or some such thing.

But what if your fixed addresses are scattered all over the place? It
then becomes more of a chore to setup ranges or pools for dynamic
assignment.

It would be nice if the service had the option to reserve fixed-address
addresses as really reserved.

So, the problem is pushed from the DHCP service to whatever application
(or person) manages the IP addresses.

Thanks again