dhcpd: failover: link startup timeout

Ian Anderson Ian.Anderson at clearwire.com
Thu Jun 7 10:12:24 UTC 2007

I am using dhcp in a load-sharing environment and I just upgraded to dhcp 3.1.0b2. So far it seems to be going fine.  The only strange alert I get in my logs is

dhcpd: failover: link startup timeout

It seems to happen roughly every 60 seconds.  Is this a bad log entry?  I can do a tcpdump on my interface and watch traffic communicate between server1 and server2, so I guess I am a little confused.  Is there a reason this is added to my logs?

my failover config is included below

server2
failover peer "dhcp-failover"
{
  secondary; # declare this to be the secondary server
  address 10.41.200.7;
  max-lease-ownership 10;
  max-lease-misbalance 15;
  min-balance 60;
  max-balance 3600;
  port 519;
  peer address 10.41.200.6;
  peer port 520;
  max-response-delay 30;
  max-unacked-updates 10;
  load balance max seconds 3;
}

failover peer "dhcp-failover"
{
  primary; # declare this to be the primary server
  address 10.41.200.6;
  max-lease-ownership 10;
  max-lease-misbalance 15;
  min-balance 60;