"not mine" messages

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Tue Jun 12 08:23:28 UTC 2007

On 11 Jun 2007, at 16:19, Per olof Ljungmark wrote:

> I have noted one more significant piece of information: The "not mine"
> messages are *always* associated with laptops, this leads me to
> beliave
> they connect sometimes wired and sometimes wireless, same dns name but
> different MAC addresses. How's that for a guess?

	Don't guess.
	Use monitoring and logging to determine what's going on ...

	It's probably useful to enable query logging on your name servers.

	It's probably useful to use some (your own, for example) laptop as
	test equipment.  By configuring your DHCP server to give very short
	leases to this unit, both as wireless and as wired, you may get
	enough log data to form a clearer idea of what is going on.

	Best regards,

	Niall O'Reilly
	University College Dublin IT Services

	PGP key ID: AE995ED9 (see www.pgp.net)
	Fingerprint: 23DC C6DE 8874 2432 2BE0 3905 7987 E48D AE99 5ED9