DHCP transactions per second

Ian Anderson ian.anderson at clearwire.com
Mon Jun 18 01:44:58 UTC 2007

With further investigation it appears that we are getting multiple
requests for each client.  We have several ip helper  addresses (foundry
switchs) in our network, and I believe we may have a misconfiguration
somewhere.

For example, if a client has never powered up on our network before it
performs the typical DISCOVER/OFFER/REQUEST/ACK  Because all of those
are broadcast the dhcp server is receiving the client messages 4 times.
(and responding 4 times as well) 4 DISCOVERS / 4 REQUESTS.  I know dhcp
can cope with this, and the server will ACK the first REQUEST it
receives from any given client.   Even though dhcp can handle this, is
this a significant source of additional load on the server?  Are
duplicate broadcasts treated any differently by dhcp than receiving just
one broadcast?  Or in other words, does dhcp know the difference between
a normal broadcast and one that is a duplicate?

I would imagine in order to get an accurate representation of your dhcp
servers transactions per second you would need to fix whatever is
causing the duplicate messages.