Howto configure multiple MAC address with one ip-address (not at the same time) ???

Sten Carlsen sten at s-carlsen.dk
Thu Jun 21 09:15:39 UTC 2007

This is absolutely doable, I set this up long ago.

I actually have both interfaces configured to the same address at the
same time as standard.

This means that I can start a download using the wired connection , pull
out the cable and it will continue wireless.

host silver {
option dhcp-client-identifier "\000silver";
# hardware ethernet 00:03:93:eb:7f:59;
# hardware ethernet 00:03:93:d3:c3:36;
fixed-address silver.s-carlsen.dk.;
}

This works for me, both interfaces will get the same IP at the same
time. No bad effects have been observed yet after 4 years.

Andrew Dibbins wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to configure my dhcpd server to issue my
> laptop with the same ipaddress, irrespective of
> whether I connect via wired or wireless connection,
> hence different MAC addresses (clearly not at the same
> time).
>
> Using the the fixed address section in the dhcpd.conf
> like this:
>
> host laptop {
>    hardware ethernet 00:14:85:2D:E0:2F;
>    fixed-address 192.168.1.19;
> }
>
> and
>
> host laptop {
>    hardware ethernet 00:11:25:D6:EE:91;
>    fixed-address 192.168.1.19;
> }
>
> When starting the daemon, it barfs, line xx laptop
> already exists, I've tried combining the assignments
> into just one assignment in the config file, like
> this.
>
> host laptop {
>      hardware ethernet 00:11:25:D6:EE:91;
>      hardware ethernet 00:14:85:2D:E0:2F;
>      fixed-address 192.168.1.19;
> }
>
> This didn't work.
>
> I appreciate, I could set a fixed address on the
> laptop, but I'd be forever updating it as I connected
> my laptop to many different networks thru out a week.
>
> Is there a fix, or way round this, I would suspect
> this is a perfectly reasonable thing to want to do?
>
> Thanks
>
> Andy

> Tel       : +44 (0)161 905 8112
> Fax       : +44 (0)870 161 7421