DHCP transactions per second

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Thu Jun 28 20:38:14 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 03:49:22PM -0700, Ian Anderson wrote:
> Both DHCPDISCOVER and DHCPREQUEST values compute to the same tps. Could
> one conclude that when attempting to compute dhcp tps, you only need to
> take DHCPDISCOVER 4 way handshakes into account?

I would say the only thing that matters is DHCPREQUESTs/s.  Assuming
they all result in DHCPACKs.  This is because the server must fsync()
the lease database before transmitting a DHCPOFFER.

In my own testing on one arbitrary system, I found that simply
profiling how many fsync()'s per second the system could accomplish
gave me a rough approximation (consistently 1/10th) of how many
DHCPREQUESTs the server appeared to be able to process per second.

  http://marc.info/?l=dhcp-users&m=115334003807766&w=2

Note that the hard drive in my laptop was able to do something like
4 DHCPREQUESTs/s.  I suspect your DHCP server has a much better hard
drive.

--
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Why settle for the lesser evil?	 https://secure.isc.org/store/t-shirt/