Problem with "corrupt" lease file

Mike Schmidt mike at sepia.com
Sat Jun 30 15:03:35 UTC 2007

Hi,

We have a Motorola CMTS relaying dhcp requests with Option 82 turned on.
This is on a client's production system, so I have limited access.
We are running dhcpd 3.0pl1 on a redhat 8 system.

When the CMTS relays a request, we get this in the leases file:

lease 172.16.58.218 {
  starts 3 2007/06/27 14:07:28;
  ends 3 2007/07/04 14:07:28;
  binding state active;
  next binding state free;
  hardware ethernet 00:40:ca:b1:6e:5b;
  uid "\001\000@\312\261n[";
  option agent.remote-id 0:18:c0:bd:7b:6e;
  option agent.#43 a:39:6:f0;
  client-hostname "YOUR-6DBCC7E667";
}

causes this error message when restarting dhcpd:
./dhcpd.leases line 4207: no option named client-hostname in space agent
  client-hostname
  ^

and sometimes this:
lease 172.16.56.212 {
  starts 3 2007/06/27 13:47:19;
  ends 3 2007/07/04 13:47:19;
  binding state active;
  next binding state free;
  hardware ethernet 00:1a:70:69:9c:fd;
  uid "\001\000\032pi\234\375";
  option agent.remote-id 0:18:c0:bd:e3:84;
  option agent.#43 a:39:7:14;
}

with this error message:
./dhcpd.leases line 4132: expecting identifier after '.'
}
^
./dhcpd.leases line 4153: possibly corrupt lease file
}
^

It seems clear that the # in option agent.#43 is causing the problem.
I have no control over the CMTS, so can't modify its configuration at
the moment.  Also, I'd like to be able to use the contents of that
option. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?
I have tried reading this leases file with a copy of dhcpd 3.0.5, but
the results were the same.

I have searched the list, and found no information on this problem. (Of
course, the list can't be searched with # either).
Thanks is advance for any help.

Mike