DHCP for multiple networks with static and dynamic assignments

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Mon Mar 5 10:10:30 UTC 2007

>Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 09:18:32 +0100 (CET)
>From: "Wojciech 'Wheart' Penar" <wheart at lab103.ict.pwr.wroc.pl>
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>Subject: Re: DHCP for multiple networks with static and dynamic assignments
>

>I have one more question - is it possible to put pool statements globally
>(outside shader-network/subnet statements)? Different manuals and examples
>put pool's in different places...

Don't know :)

I have one site that does it like this in a shared network:

shared_network blah {
  subnet .... {
    option routers ...
  subnet .... {
    option routers ...
  }
  pool {
    range ...
    range ...
    allow ...
    failover ...

The one pool has multiple ranges for the different subnets within the
shared network. Not sure how this would go if you put it in the global
scope, but you could probably also use the 'group' statement.

This simplifies things a bit as you only need to specify the allow and
deny in one place for many subnets. dhcpd works out the right range to
select from. You still need to specify subnet specific things, like
routers, in the subnet though.

regards,
-glenn