DHCP Server V3.0.5, chroot and bpf

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Fri Mar 9 21:52:44 UTC 2007

First, I must apologize for the previous mangled message.  I
keep forgetting that this is one of 2 lists I am on that don't
seem to like the MIME encapsulation my user agent generates. if
I bypass the mime encoding and go directly to sendmail, all is
well.

	I want to run dhcpd in a chroot environment under
FreeBSD6.2.  The top of the tree is
/usr/local/chroot/dhcpd.  In there is:

/dev
/etc
/lib
/libexec
/usr
/var

Under usr/local is /etc for the configuration file.  A listing
of the dev directory under dhcpd is as follows:

total 0
crw-------  1 root  wheel    0,  94 Mar  9 15:24 bpf0
crw-------  1 root  wheel    1,  95 Mar  9 15:24 bpf1
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  sys      2,   2 Mar  9 15:24 null

	When I start dhcpd in chroot, it looks like it is going
to run.  One sees the copyright message, the normal warning
about

WARNING: Host declarations are global.  They are not limited to the scope you declared them in.

and it starts to run.

Wrote 0 deleted host decls to leases file.
Wrote 0 new dynamic host decls to leases file.
Wrote 0 leases to leases file.

and then this show-stopper.

No bpf devices.   Please read the README section for your operating system.

	Since it works when run as root, I must have something
either in the wrong place or there is something missing from the
chroot environment.  Are there any ideas as to why I get this
error.  I think there is a nice bpf device there that looks just
like the listing of /dev/bpf and /dev/bpf1 but obviously
something isn't right with the chroot version of things.

	Thanks for any help.  The man page on bpf doesn't tell
me anything that has started any investigation.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer