lease limits, classes & subclasses

G. Coles gilbertx07 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 13 21:57:32 UTC 2007

Dear DHCP gurus,

I've been ravaging Google specifically the marc.theaimsgroup.com dhcpd
mailing list for some info on what I'm trying to configure on my dhcpd but
up to now i'm in trial-&-error mode...

what i'm trying to do (hopefully this can be done) is to classify dhcp
clients into 2 types: example:
1st type: takes 'lease limit 1;'
2nd type: takes 'lease limit 4;'

now the only thing I can use in my scenario to classify clients is the
option agent.remote-id

till now I've tried the following with the accompanying result:

class "limit_1" {
match if option agent.remote-id = "XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX";
lease limit 1;
}

class "limit_2" {
match if option agent.remote-id = "YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY";
lease limit 2;
}

and this worked fine however I would like a number of different remote-ids
to match to each class & when I tried to define another match if - dhcpd
complained (as expected)

So I tried something else:

class "limit_1" {
spawn with option agent.remote-id;
lease limit 1;
}

class "limit_2" {
spawn with option agent.remote-id;
lease limit 2;
}

subclass "limit_1" XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
subclass "limit_2" YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY;

hoping that like this I can define multiple values - but what happened is
that when dhcpd didn't find a value that matched my subclass it created its
own subclass

so I tried something else:

class "limit_1" {
match option agent.remote-id'
lease limit 1;
}

class "limit_2" {
match option agent.remote-id;
lease limit 2;
}

subclass "limit_1" XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;
subclass "limit_2" YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY;

to no avail

Can anybody tell me if this is possible first of all? Can i use a set of
remote-ids to match a class that has a lease limit and another set of
remote-ids to match another class with a different lease limit?

Regards,
Gilbert