DHCP + mysql

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Mon Mar 19 12:16:09 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 07:29:07AM +0000, Simon Hobson wrote:
> AFAIK the ISC server does not have the capability to do this, and I
> seriously doubt that they would be interested in adding it. There are
> two main reasons :

Actually, we're very interested in adding it, and think the
considerations for benefits versus costs and weaknesses are
best left to operators to decide.

The current storage system is not so nice in that it all very
much assumes a local file.  That's the bad news.  The good news
is that there's really only two places in the sources where
leases are read and stored, so a first-pass dhcpd.leases-in-sql-
alike (where the server loads the sql contents into memory)
wouldn't be terribly complicated to implement.

'Running state' in sql rather than memory is substantially more
complex.

Calling rfc2131's "stable storage" requirement complete after an
sql "COMMIT;" sounds fine to me.

ISC Training!  http://www.isc.org/training/  training at isc.org
Washington DC area, April 16-20 2007.  DNS & BIND, DDNS & DHCP.