dhcpd.conf for dynamic dns

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Mar 20 13:27:30 UTC 2007

Glenn Satchell wrote:

>  >any way to force the updating even the records are exist  on dns ?

>Well you could hack the source code...
>
>I assume you want to do this because you have many records to clean up.
>Perhaps you could write a script that parsed the log file looking for
>the error message, collect the hostnames and use nsupdate to delete the
>records it found.

A more useful option would be if someone wrote a simple utility which
would calculate and add the TXT records to the DNS. This could be run
once, then immediately the administrator could manually remove any
for entries that are to remain 'safe' from DHCP updates - thus
keeping important records safe.

A generic script which automatically deleted records would be rather
dangerous unless it had access to an exception list.