Different pools for dynamic and "static" leases

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Mar 21 18:40:42 UTC 2007

Keith Lawson wrote:

>We've setup 2 pools in our subnet declarations. One pool is for
>dynamic clients and the other is for "static" clients that have host
>declarations with "fixed-address" options. We added the static pool
>since our servers are configured in a failover pair.
>
>Ex:
>subnet 10.128.8.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>    option routers...
>    # dynamic pool
>    pool {
>       options...
>       range 10.128.8.16 10.128.8.200;
>    }
>   # static pool
>    pool {
>      options...
>       range 10.128.8.201 10.128.8.250;
>}
>
>Is there a way to stop dynamic hosts from getting addresses out of
>the static pool?

Yes REMOVE IT IMMEDIATELY !

You MUST NOT have an address which is both in a pool range statement
and also allocated via a fixed address statement - the server does
NOT check and will quite happily give out an addresses to a dynamic
client and later attempt to give the same address to the fixed
address client.