Host declarations

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Tue Mar 27 20:46:03 UTC 2007

On 27 Mar 2007, at 20:17, Alex Moen wrote:

> It seems to make sense to me that if a MAC reservation has been
> made, it
> should take precedence (based on the "most specific" rules that
> apply to
> other IP addressing things) over anything else that the server
> knows about.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how I can make this work?  I can put
> actual
> examples of subnets and VLAN info up here, but it is way complex,
> possibly
> more complex than is needed to solve the problem.

I'ld go further than Simon, and suggest "don't waste your time".

MAC addresses aren't "IP addressing things", so you can't carry the
concepts
over in the way you suggest.

You have to recognize that you've chosen and implemented a topology
with a
number of separate IP networks; your addressing plan has to fit that
topology,
and your DHCP service has to deliver addresses consistent with that
plan.
Whether another addressing plan would bring benefits greater than the
cost of
designing and migrating to a new topology (with all the likely
customer impact),
isn't something which anyone out on the list can tell.

Thinking "outside the box" for a minute or two ...

If your DSLAMs (I'm not familiar with the technology) and associated
network
equipment can meaningfully support distributed VLANs, so that you can
create
an extra network, distributed virtually across all your sites, then your
"problem" may magically disappear.  Even if this is possible, it may
introduce
too many "interesting" failure modes.  I just don't know.

	Best regards,

	Niall O'Reilly
	University College Dublin IT Services

	PGP key ID: AE995ED9 (see www.pgp.net)
	Fingerprint: 23DC C6DE 8874 2432 2BE0 3905 7987 E48D AE99 5ED9