randomizing lease renewal?

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Fri Mar 30 21:43:52 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 04:28:15PM +0100, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Still, we've had a LOT more requests for the other reason :-(

Usually, the request is for the client to get a new lease upon
every renew.  This has the session mangling property.  So far,
once that's explained, the folks who do the requesting tend to
wander off.

We haven't gotten any patches (if we did, we'd have to decide if
we want to take on the support cost), and I'm not compelled to
write that feature with my "own project time".  Since the pressure
to provide it always dissipates shortly after the request, there's
never been a reason to consider this as something the community
wants us to spend their donations writing.

A different, but similar feature request, might be to "lose"
the old identity information on a lease every time it expires
or is released.  This would fulfill a server operator's
concern that they're hanging onto stale identifiers, and it
would tend to allocate new addresses (since the address age
would still sort allocation pattern).

I don't think we've ever heard that feature request unless it's
been made in this thread.  It's not a bad idea tho.

If we don't get a patch, we could probably fit it in our schedule
after our current plate is cleared.

As always, if anyone wanted to adjust our priorities, there is a
simple way to do that.

	https://secure.isc.org/store/t-shirt/
	https://secure.isc.org/store/donation/