dhcpd performance?

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Wed May 2 15:27:34 UTC 2007

>Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 10:56:07 -0400
>From: "Jiann-Ming Su" <sujiannming at gmail.com>
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>Subject: Re: dhcpd performance?
>
>On 5/2/07, Simon Hobson <dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Do I detect a hint of internal politics going on here ? Are the phone
>> guys pushing to use a different DHCP server by any chance ?
>>

>They're not asking for another dhcp server.  it's just a problem
>endemic to our organization as a whole.  Groups will deploy
>applications without fully understanding how those applications work.
>When the application gets misconfigured, "It's the network's fault!!
>Let's wait two weeks for those lowly network admins to verify the
>network isn't the problem, then we'll call the vendors."  But, I'm
>sure everybody's heard this broken record before.
>
>The problem with VoIP is the "dumb users" know how a phone should
>work.   They won't be as forgiving with phones as they are with
>computers.  And, if the folks in charge of voice don't really know how
>this voice application works on top of the data network, debugging it
>will be that much more difficult.

Yep, we've all heard those stories before. The expectations users have
with a phone *are* a lot different to a computer, and in some ways voip
is not as good as the old phone system.

In the example I cited before we had separate vlans for the phones so
that quality of service settings could be customised for those devices
so that someone doing a big file transfer didn't impact the phones too
much.

regards,
-glenn