dhcpd and ddns: updating only certain dns servers

Christoph Kaegi kgc at zhwin.ch
Wed May 9 13:30:35 UTC 2007

On 09.05-14:08, Simon Hobson wrote:

> You mean they can be connected TO as public hosts ?

Most of them can't be connected TO directly, but they
can directly connect to hosts on the internet and then
they should have correct dns- and reversedns names.
(at least I thought that would be responsible behaviour)

> I suggest that for this class of machines you have a different dns
> zone and don't do split horizon dns for that zone. It also gives some
> differentiation between your official hosts and anything a student
> might put up - bearing in mind that someone can give their machine
> any official sounding name and that's what will go in the DNS !

I'd consider that, if I where in a position to change the
current DNS design, but I'm not. We are just changing schemes
from statically assigned ip addresses to dynamically assigned
ip addresses and I should solve this problem somehow.

One way to go would be to assign static hostname mappings
on the outside for every possible dynamic address that can
communicate to the outside. But that would mean additional
hassle when are going to change the usage of our ip ranges.

Chris

Christoph Kaegi                                           kgc at zhwin.ch