DHCP Option 82 in MPLS VPN

FredZone fredzone at libertysurf.fr
Fri May 25 21:42:45 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm not sure that the PE (What is it, PE?) has to know the source VPN of the
request. Relay agent will intercept the broadcast DHCP request and unicast
the message to DHCP server(s). When Server(s) replies to the relay agent
(setted in PE), if it can't determine the VPN destination, it will broadcast
the DHCP reply (All VPNs will receive the DHCP message and only the DHCP
client which recognize its own xid will treat the packet).

If Relay Agent Information is activated, it could be used on DHCP replies
packets to help the relay agent to determine the VPN targeted by the answer
and forward the answer only on the right one. In this case, that's suppose
that VPN are seen by PE like Physical Line.

Very interesting case.

Regards.

Fred