dhcpd capacity

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Nov 6 09:14:54 UTC 2007

fadey wrote:

>I'm experiencing a problem with dhcpd in a cable network. Once cable
>modems are reset (I have about 200), a storm of packets is flooding
>dhcpd and it can't serve the networking  information to all of cable
>modems at once. For about every 5 DISCOVERs I see 1 OFFER (with
>tcpdump). So, I guess that either some OFFERSs are being dropped or by
>the time they reach a cable modem a timeout opccurs.
>I'm wondering if there is something in the configuration that can
>influence the responce time of dhcpd.

Check the archives, there's been a number of threads about server
performance over the last few months. A few tips :

ping-before-offer : you can turn this off

logging : is syslog configured to write logs synchronously ? If so,
then this slows things down quite a bit (every log created results in
a disk write). Setting this to async helps quite a bit.

Also, some people have experimented with putting various things on
ram disk - but it may not be safe against reboots.