Booting Apple Macs

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Tue Nov 6 22:10:44 UTC 2007

-- Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> is rumored to have mumbled on 6.
November 2007 13:56:36 -0800 regarding Booting Apple Macs:

> I've been trying to remote boot Apple Macs and could see with
> Wireshark that the macs were getting what seemed like the correct DHCP
>
> The Apple's Open Firmware would time out with:
>
>    BOOTP/BSDP failed: no FILENAME specified can't open: enet:0
>
> even though I could see with Wireshark a File Name returned in the
> DHCP responses.

AFAIK the file name is far from being enough. As you can see, Apple doesn't
use DHCP, it uses a variant of BOOTP that they call BSDP. Check out this
article:

<http://www.afp548.com/article.php?story=20061220102102611>

I think with that recipe it should work, but I've never tried it myself.
--
Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Flachbau), Zi. 18, Robert-Koch-Str. 10
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK