dhcp discover => new ip

Rudy Zijlstra rudy at grumpydevil.homelinux.org
Mon Nov 12 20:53:36 UTC 2007

Wouter,

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007, wouter.debie wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a bit of an odd question. I have a dhcp server and some clients (cable
> modems) connected on a network. Now i would like to configure the dhcp server
> so that every time a client performs a dhcp it gets a new IP-address and not
> the same address it use to have before.  Even if it performs a dhcp renew it
> must receive an other ip addres. So every dhcp from a clients results in a
> new address for this client and no
>
> Is this possible ( by an option in the configuration file dhcp.conf)??

I know you want to do this in orde to test the dhcp client implementation
on the modems.

Point is: its against the DHCP RFC's, and also against the design of the
ISC DHCP server. Check the archives, you will find this question posted
about every 3 months, and the answer is always the same.

Cheers,

Rudy

P.S. iets meer research had dit antwoord gevonden....