Lease file questions

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Nov 16 17:26:02 UTC 2007

Ryan McCain wrote:

>My lease times are set as the following:
>
>default-lease-time 86400;
>max-lease-time 604800;
>
>In my leases file I see entries that are older than 7 days (604800 seconds):
>
>-SNIP-
>lease 172.20.8.181 {
>   starts 2 2007/10/30 08:00:00;
>   ends 2 2007/10/30 08:02:00;
>   tstp 2 2007/10/30 08:02:00;
>   binding state free;
>   hardware token-ring 52:41:43:42:d9:01;
>   uid "\00042d901-RACcc7e02d940";
>   client-hostname "42d901-RACcc7e02d940";
>}

>..I am under the impression that only active leases should be in the
>leases file.  Am I missing something?

Yes, the last state of every lease every issued is retained. This is
so that should the client return to the network in the future, then
it can be recognised and given it's old address if it hasn't been
reused.

>Also, we don't have token ring on our network (at least we
>shouldn't).  Is there a reason some of the leases are reporting
>token ring?

Now that's an interesting question !

Just a hunch, did this lease belong to some sort of remote access
server (RAS) ? If so, then I'm guessing that for some reason it's
faked the hardware type when requesting a lease on behalf of a
client. Just a guess and it could be wrong !