Capturing dhcp->named communications

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Sun Nov 18 11:31:03 UTC 2007

Turn on named logging for dynamic updates. See

http://www.isc.org/sw/bind/arm94/Bv9ARM.ch06.html#id2574782

for some hints on setting up dynamic dns updates.

There are examples in the dhcpd.conf man page with example files for
named.conf and dhcpd.conf. Pay close attention, particularly to quotes.
Similar settings, such as key values and zone names, are quoted in one
file and not the other...

regards,
-glenn

>Subject: Capturing dhcp->named communications
>Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 11:44:19 -0500
>From: "Todd Snyder" <tsnyder at rim.com>
>
>Good day all,
>
>I am still fighting with trying to get dynamic dns updates working
>between dhcpd and named - getting lines like:
>
>Nov 16 11:35:43 bl-utl01 dhcpd: Unable to add forward map from
>multi_prov_test_2.cm.prov.tools.staging to 10.255.19.253: connection
>refused
>Nov 16 11:35:43 bl-utl01 dhcpd: No hostname for 10.255.19.253
>
>I'd like to try and capture the communications between dhcpd and named
>and see what the problem is.
>
>I've been fighting with wireshark/tcpdump all morning and can't seem to
>figure out how to capture all dhcp and all dns queries, and particularly
>the inter-service piece.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
>IF anyone is particularly good at getting this going, I've been hacking
>at it but would love to talk to someone who's actually gotten it going.
>
>Thanks all,
>
>Todd.

>Todd Snyder
>Tools Analyst
>Blackberry Operations
>Research In Motion Ltd.
>519-888-7465 x73176
>tsnyder at rim.com

>This transmission (including any attachments) may contain confidential
solicitor-client or other applicable privileges), or constitute non-public
information. Any use of this information by anyone other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please
immediately reply to the sender and delete this information from your system.
Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this transmission by
unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.